…and didn’t have a complete breakdown!
Once upon a time, Jade and Dave decided to get married. Jade asked me if I could make their wedding cake. I said yes, I’d love to. I spent several months failing to find a red food colouring that was bake stable (you lucky Americans!) as the original plan was to have a red velvet cake. I spent some time perusing the internet for alternative recipes and found an awesome Madeira cake recipe on Cakes, Bakes & Cookies that included how to scale the recipe for different sized tins which I desperately needed!
I did a test run with my 12 inch cake tin and it turned out OK:
A little cracked and the mixture wasn’t as light as I wanted it to be. I decided this was down to the fact that I was using my mum’s food mixer that was a wedding gift 37 years ago! I got a new mixer and it made all the difference!
I did a two tier test run using a 10 inch and an 8 inch cake:
I used cheap blue and red fondant from Tesco to test out the bunting. I also tested how sturdy the stacked tiers were:
I used jumbo straws instead of dowelling (and failed to get a pic of it) but there is a great YouTube tutorial here
For my two tier test run, the top tier had buttercream and lemon curd sandwiched between the layers while the bottom tier had buttercream and strawberry jam. I took half of the ten inch cake and the whole 8 inch cake into work. Despite my team’s incredible capacity for eating food, I had to enlist people from the wider business to help eat all of it!
So two weeks before the big day I assembled all of my ingredients:
Total ingredients I used for three tiers:
Butter: 948 g
Stork (Margerine): 948 g
Caster sugar: 2,526 g (~2.6 kg)
Vanilla Essence: 13.5 tsp
38 eggs (Words cannot describe how difficult I found it to work out how many boxes this worked out to… 1 x 12 egg box, 2 x 10 egg box and 1 x 6 egg box!)
Plain flour: 2,847 g (~2.9 kg)
Baking Powder: 20 tsp
Hot Water: 36 tbsp (640 ml)
4.5 kg of White fondant icing
Note that I made two of the 12 inch cake to make the cake tall enough.
I spent a weekend baking all 4 cakes which became three tiers and then froze all of the cakes. I followed the advice here for freezing the cakes.
The day before the wedding I defrosted, cut, filled, crumb coated and covered the cakes in white fondant. That took about 8 hours! I then cut out all of the bunting using these cutters. I used the largest one for the 12 inch tier and went down a size for each tier up.
I covered the cake board with white fondant and used hessian ribbon around the edge to go with the rustic barn theme.
Obviously Apple helped:
And here it is:
I am so genuinely touched that Jade and Dave would trust me with such a major part of their big day. Which they know because I had a small breakdown during their speeches! I got a gorgeous gift that I will definitely use a lot:
(T Swiz references win every time!) And I can only hope there is one photo of the speeches on the day that doesn’t have my ugly crying face in the background!
All the stress was totally worth it for this gorgeous pair: